Vaping is now the biggest threat.
It’s time to get smart. Get the facts and reACT.
It’s an aerosol NOT harmless water vapor.
Get this: It’s NOT water vapor (yeah, the ads forgot to mention that). It’s actually an aerosol you’re inhaling, with a cluster of dangerous particles and chemicals, like:
- Nicotine: which is highly addictive, AND it changes your brain chemistry
- Ultrafine Particles: which can be inhaled deep into your lungs
- Flavoring (chemicals): like diacetyl, a chemical linked to a serious lung disease
- Volatile Organic Compounds
- Cancer-Causing Chemicals
- Heavy Metals: like nickel, tin, and lead
Plus, there’s no way to know for sure what’s in them—because they aren’t regulated. For example, some vape products marketed as “0% nicotine” have been found to contain nicotine in tests.
Vaping is still fairly new, so the exact dangers—short-and long-term health effects—aren’t yet known. You’ve seen the news about hundreds of people with serious illnesses from vaping. Some have already died.
Our reACTion? We’re not gonna be the “lab rats” for the Vaping Industry. Nope!
Learn more about vaping
The Hard Truth Makes for an Easy Decision
Big Tobacco seems to believe and say that their products are not created or marketed for youth but we’ll show you the truth of their lies stat by stat. Check out this video breaking down the reality of tobacco use among our peers in Montana.
Deception. Manipulation. Lies.
That’s what we’re facing—and we’ve had enough. The Vaping Industry targets us. Big Tobacco targets us. They spend millions on advertising in Montana. Why? To turn us into life-long customers—replacements for customers who die from using their deadly products.
Not happening—we’re taking a stand.
Nice try, but we’re onto their tricks. They advertise cigarettes/vapes in convenience stores. They are surrounded by candy, at the eye level of little kids. And, they offer price promotions like “buy one get one 50% off” to get us hooked early.
Big Tobacco Quotes:
“It is during the teenage years that the initial brand choice is made.”
– Phillip Morris
“Cherry Skoal is for somebody who likes the taste of candy, if you know what I mean.”
– US Tobacco Sales Rep
“The ability to attract new smokers and develop them into a young adult franchise is key to brand development.”
– Phillip Morris
Here’s where they’re trying to target us:
Mental Health & Vaping
- Many tobacco users believe smoking reduces stress or anxiety.
- The nicotine in vapes can amplify feelings of depression and anxiety.
- 81% who had used e-cigarettes said they started vaping to decrease stress, anxiety, or depression.
- 78% of respondents who reported ever vaping but had not quit said they would feel better about themselves if they quit vaping.
- 90% of those who quit said they felt less stressed, anxious, or depressed.
- 47% of respondents who quit vaping reported that they felt more in control when they quit vaping.
- Studies show that quitting nicotine can have as strong an impact on mental health as antidepressants.
Here’s What are Young People Saying about Vaping:
- “Quitting vaping had the most positive impact on my life. It helped my mental health so much, and I became more productive. I haven’t always been feeling sick and nauseous. I feel so much better mentally and physically.” – Lacie
- “Quitting vaping had a very positive impact on my life, especially being an athlete. I feel better, perform better, and my mental health is better. Vaping affected me in more ways than you can imagine. I went from having panic attacks and being paranoid, to having a sound mind and the ability to suppress my anxiety.”– Ethan
 Truth Initiative. Colliding Crises: Youth Mental Health & Nicotine Use. https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/emerging-tobacco-products/colliding-crises-youth-mental-health-and-nicotine-use/ Accessed June 10, 2022.
 Truth Initiative. Nicotine Use & Stress: The Impact of Nicotine. https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/emerging-tobacco-products/nicotine-use-and-stress/ Accessed June 10, 2022.
Vaping & Pets
What about our Pets? Vaping & Our Furry Friends
It’s plain and straightforward — nicotine is addictive and harmful not only to humans, but to our animals. All forms of tobacco can cause disease in every organ of our pet companions.
- Dogs exposed to tobacco compounds can experience asthma, chronic coughing, lung cancer, and other lung illnesses.
- Cats exposed to tobacco compounds can experience an increased risk of an aggressive type of mouth cancer called oral squamous cell carcinoma. Because cats are self-groomers, they are consistently exposed to both secondhand and thirdhand smoke within their environment.
- Birds exposed to tobacco compounds can develop sinus problems, allergies, eye issues, lung and heart illness, and other conditions.
- Guinea pigs exposed to secondhand smoke for more than six months can develop microscopic changes in their lungs, emphysema, pulmonary hypertension, and high blood pressure.
- Fish exposed to nicotine can develop muscle spasms, rigid fins, and loss of color. They may also die.
Let’s protect our furry friends and be tobacco-free!
 United States Food and Drug Administration. Be Smoke-Free & Help Your Pets Live Longer, Healthier Lives. https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-health-literacy/be-smoke-free-and-help-your-pets-live-longer-healthier-lives-endnotes/ Accessed June 10, 2022.
Vaping & The Environment
Tobacco use is not only a health issue but also an environmental issue.
- 51% of young e-cigarette users reported disposing of used e-cigarette pods or empty disposables in the trash
- 17% in a regular recycling bin not designed for e-cigarette waste
- 10% reported they throw them on the ground, according to TRUTH Initiative research conducted in 2020. Almost half (49.1%) of young people don’t know what to do with used e-cigarette pods and disposable devices.
E-cigarette waste is potentially a more serious environmental threat than cigarette butts since e-cigarettes introduce plastic, nicotine salts, heavy metals, lead, and flammable lithium-ion batteries into waterways, soil, and wildlife. Unlike cigarette butts, e-cigarette waste won’t biodegrade even under severe conditions.
When e-cigarettes and cigarette waste aren’t disposed of properly, the e-cigarettes and cigarette waste makes its way into the environment, polluting water, air, and land with toxic chemicals, heavy metals, and residual nicotine.
In 2018, Americans generated 2.7 million tons of consumer electronic waste, including e-cigarette waste, that ultimately ended up in landfills or incinerators.
How can we cut down on this electronic waste?
Well the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) suggests a few options:
- Option 1: Contact your local waste department about the Home Hazardous Waste (HHW) program and inquire if they accept e-cigarettes.
- Option 2: Remove the battery and drop it off at a local recycling plant. Then bring the remaining device pieces to a DEA Prescription Take-Back Days
By incorporating these steps provided by the DEA we can make positive changes for ourselves, our pets and our planet.
 Truth Initiative. A Toxic, Plastic Problem: E-Cigarette Waste & The Environment. https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/harmful-effect-tobacco/toxic-plastic-problem-e-cigarette-waste-and-environment/ Accessed June 10, 2022.
Ready to Quit?
Good news! You have options! There are several quitlines out there, so you can find the one that works best for you. We primarily promote My Life, My Quit, and This is Quitting. Keep scrolling to learn more about these free and confidential programs.
A program designed specifically for Montanans under 18 looking to quit any form of tobacco (cigarettes, vaping devices, cigars/cigarillos, and smokeless tobacco). 
The program, at: https://mt.mylifemyquit.org/ provides youth access to tailored resources for quitting. This Montana program is presented by National Jewish Health (www.nationaljewishhealth.org).
Some of its features include:
- Youth coaches who receive special training on the best ways to build relationships with youth.
- Five coaching sessions by phone, live texting or chat with a coach who will listen and help teens navigate social situations, while finding healthy ways to cope with stress.
- Text or call a dedicated toll-free number (1-855-891-9989) for real-time coaching.
- Additional text messages for support to quit vaping, smoking, or chewing tobacco.
- Simplified program registration and enrollment process to get to coaching faster.
- Website (mt.mylifemyquit.com) with online enrollment, chat with a live coach, information about vaping and Tobacco, and activities to support quitting.
- Promotional and educational materials designed for youth, with messages from youth who’ve been quitting tobacco and vaping.
- How to ask for support.
- A water-marked certificate of completion of the program.
- My Life, My Quit specially trained coaches listen to, and understand teens, provide personalized support, and build relationships that promote quitting tobacco.
- Coaches emphasize that the decision to stop is personal, and provide information to help cope with stress, navigate social situations, and support developing a tobacco-free identity.
Start Your Quit Today
- Text “start” to 36072,
- Visit mylifemyquit.com or Call 1-855-891-9989
- The first-of-its-kind text messaging program incorporates messages from other young people like them who have attempted to or successfully quit e-cigarettes.
- Their messages show the real side of quitting, both the good and bad, to help youth and young people feel motivated, inspired, and supported throughout their quitting process.
- TRUTH also sends youth and young people evidence-based tips on product usage to give teens and young adults appropriate recommendations about quitting.
- Those who are not ready to quit receive at least four weeks of messages focused on building skills and confidence.
- Users with a quit date receive one week of messages prior to that date and at least eight weeks of messages after their quit date.
- Users can text COPE, STRESS, SLIP, or MORE throughout the program to receive instant support.
- Upon completion of the program, users receive periodic text messages from truth® and may continue to use supportive keywords for as long as they like.
What youth and young people say…,
Here’s what some youth and young people have said about This is Quitting:
- “They are cool; they make me feel as if I’m not alone in this journey.” – Anonymous, teen
- “They make it seem like there is a way out of addiction.” – Chase, teen
- “It expresses the emotions of quitting from other people.” – domlussier, teen
- “They’re the one thing rooting for me to quit.” – EG, teen
- “They’re not super in your face. They serve as a quick “hey don’t do the thing you’re thinking about right now.” – Cole, teen
- “They encourage me not to JUUL, they offer alternatives when I get a craving. I started going to the gym and working out instead of JUULing.” – Scarlett, young adult
- “They remind me there’s no room to turn back to something harmful.” – Meredith, young adult
Visit https://truthinitiative.org/thisisquitting to start your nicotine-free life.
 This is Quitting. https://truthinitiative.org/about-this-is-quitting/ Accessed June 10, 2022.